<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, March 08, 2004

American Way
Had my Level 3s write paragraphs about where they will be in 10 years (use of the future tense). Edgar Garcia spent 10 or 15 minutes clowning around, coloring a necklace with a blue marker, before he got down to writing.

“What do you call the school after high school?” he asked. I waited for him to answer his own question, as he is wont to do.

“College, right?”

I nodded.

“You went to college?” he asked me.

I told him I had, and that I was, in fact, still taking classes.

“So how much do you make an hour if you go to college?”

“Well, it depends…” I start to explain, but Edgar cuts right to the point.

“How much do you make an hour?

I tell him I’m not sure, but would be glad to calculate for him. My $1060 every 2 weeks comes out to about $13/hr, of which I bashfully inform Edgar.

Twenty minutes late he turns in his paragraph:

“In ten years I will be a drug diler. I will sell the drugs more cheaper than everyone else so everyone will by from me.”

Smart kid. He's got this America shit pretty well figured.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?


Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com